Monday, December 9, 2013

Ecuador

Apologies for the delayed post. Something called school got in the way of my blogging. ;) 

In July 2008, I went with my church to Quito, Ecuador. 
 Ecuador is located in beautiful america del sur.

Aside from being excited to get back in a metal sky tube, I was excited to practice my Spanish. I had just taken a year of Spanish classes, and never had anywhere to practice outside of the classroom, so I was itching to have some real life application. 
This is one of my favorite pictures.
I took this picture from the plane as we were getting ready to land in Quito. 



This is cuy (qwee). Also known as guinea pig. 
It is an Ecuadorian delicacy that tastes like salty chicken.




Remanso de Amor, The Haven of Love



Chubby cheeks!


Another one of my favorite pictures. 
This woman (in the blue) lost her husband the day before this was taken. 
Just when you think there is no more Quito, you spot more in the valleys.

Rockin' that Dora shirt. 

Yes, I got thisclose to that alpaca, who almost spit on me.
Of course, we had to visit the Equator. 
Ecuador is in the middle of the world, calculated with GPS.
The Equator is the only place where you can balance an egg on a nail.
And sadly, I'm sure it's NOT the only place where you find snake skins this gigantic.
Or spiders this largely terrifying.

Model of the Galapagos Islands
For some reason, I really love foreign road signs.
Ice cold river running through Papallacta.

Papallacta is a wonderful place that has thermal pools (read: water heated by the local volcanoes). We would sit in the hottest thermal pool, jump in the coooooold water, and then get right back into the heated pools.

Playing at the orphanage.
Roberto!




La bola!
The Virgen del Panecillo.. Christ the Redeemer-esque 
I just love how this city unfolds.






Another thing I love (if you couldn't already tell), is airplane pictures. It was incredibly hard for me to choose only a few sky pictures. I love love love window seats and being able to look down upon the Earth. To see minuscule roads, houses, cars and people really puts things into perspective for me. It helps me remember how small we are in relation to the world, and how big the world really is.

"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, 
deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Mary Ritter Beard

My stats as of July 2008:

  • 3% of the world visited
  • Estimated mileage: 22,500
  • Been to:
    • 3 continents
    • 7 countries
    • 6 states  (CO, KS, MO, WV)

No comments:

Post a Comment