Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Another Arabian Night

Note: posting a tiny bit out of order.

On December 21st, 2012, my cousins and I headed out on a cross country trip to camp in the Sahara Desert.

I feel like there should be a soundtrack for this. Let me know if you think I've chosen wisely. 

"Arabian Nights" from Aladdin
Catching up on the childhood we never had together. Me, Fatima Ezzahra, Nawal

First stop: Marrakech
Marrakech is world famous for it's markets and festivals.
"The most beautiful train station in the world."

Koutobia mosque, largest in Marrakech.
Nawal, Fatima Ezzahra, me, Imane

BEST DAY EVER!!! I've always loved monkeys (i.e. wanted to hold and/or own one) 
Only took 20 years.. patience is a virtue.
Why yes, that is a snake charmer and a few cobras just chilling there.
"There is a cobra a few feet away from me.. no big deal." Yawn.


me, Fatima Ezzahra, Ismail, Nawal, Imane
At the gate of the Atlas Mountains, lie the Menara Gardens
On to Ouarzazate!
Driving through the Atlas Mountains
Fatima Ezzahra, me, Ismail
me and Abdel Hamid
Abdel Hamid, Ismail, Fatima Ezzahra, me, and Nawal racing up the hill.

Nawal, Fatima Ezzahra, Abdel Hamid
Such a beautiful view
Searching for Africa rocks

Ismail, me, Fatima Ezzahra, Imane, Nawal
Imane, Nawal, Fatima Ezzahra, me, Abdel Hamid
We stopped in the middle of the Atlas Mountains for lunch.
Check out our rooftop view!
Berber village

This was the first time my cousins had seen snow. 
I had to catch them up on some basics such as eating snow,
Snowball fights,
and making snowmen
Ouarzazate is the Moroccan Hollywood. 
The Mummy, Gladiator, Hanna and parts of Game of Thrones have been filmed here. 
The random village we wandered into while exploring.

While here, we got invited into someone's house for tea and breakfast. Hospitality is fabulous here!



Made a friend!

Check out the commercial below at 0:31

The infamous [terribly frightening] hairpin turns of Tichka

Seems legit.. We had finally arrived in Merzouga and were looking for a camping site. We found a sign for the Wilderness Lodge and the guy on the phone said to come to this dark, deserted alley and wait for him. Once we saw this place, we booked it outta there! 
Camping in the Sahara!
We woke up at 5 am so we could hop on some camels and watch the sun rise on a giant sand dune.
There is something special about this place. 
Ride a camel
Fatima Ezzahra, Abdel Hamid, Me, Nawal, Imane



This should look familiar. =]
Wait.. how old are we? 

We were 45 km (27 miles) from Algeria, which would have take 7-8 hours to travel via camel.


The 2013 model of the finest Sahara transportation has just hooved in.
The fennec fox is only found in the Sahara
me, Imane and Fatima Ezzahra
Ismail filling the bottle of sand I managed to get through 5 airports.
Half in, half out
This marked the beginning of a hike into the Sahara.
At this time, it was around 8 or 9 am and was still pretty chilly.

Camel tracks
The Sahara is the hottest and largest sand desert in the world.
The first and second largest deserts are found in Antartica and the Arctic. 
Sahara is an informal Arabic word for desert.

Lizard tracks


Road trip stats: 
Starting odometer: 105, 788 km
Ending odometer: 107, 534 km
1,746 km = 1,082 miles












1 comment: