Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bula, bula!

At my school, we have this wonderful thing called J-Term, which is short for January Term. The month of January is basically its own semester where you can do awesome things like travel. 

Once the classes were announced for J-Term 2012, I immediately noticed a class called Island Biology. This class was going to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. Ever since I was little, I had ALWAYS dreamed of going to Australia. And so, I began saving every dime I could to go on this trip. 

Another thing I was excited for for the nice warm weather in the middle of winter! I hate, hate, hate winter/cold/snow/all of the above.. island living is more my kind of style. 

On January 8th, 2012, we flew from OMA-DEN-LAX-NAN (Omaha- Denver, Los Angeles, Nadi)

Fijians are very friendly, welcoming folk. Once in the airport we were greeting with music and a "Bula!"

 Landing in Nadi, Fiji (rhymes with candy)
 First view of Fiji
Port Denarau
 The lotion is Fiji passionfruit scented.
The group: Nick, Kelly, me, Sam and Drew
Photo credit: Nick

 The color of the water is so beautiful.
 The island we stayed we at.

Snorkeling gear
 Snorkeling with Nick
 My first time swimming in the ocean.
Bucket list item: Swim in the ocean 1/11/12, Pacific Ocean
 Notice how clear the water is and the crab in the middle of the picture. 
My white is showing.. now that's embarrassing.
Fijian drink of kava. It looks like muddy water and tastes how it looks.
Photo credit: Nick
 Simply paradise.
 Fijian desert of fruit and ice cream with honeycomb. 
Bucket list item: Watch a sunset at a beach 1/11/12

One of my favorite pictures
 At the top of Castaway Island
 True life: Fiji 
How perfect is this place.. seriously?!

 Nick, Sam and I
 The natives sang to us as we were getting ready to leave paradise. :(
 They love to dance!
I have no idea how my computer made this, but isn't it cool?!
This is what I did with my new friend, Walu, on the boat ride back to the main island.
Back at the main island, Walu didn't want to leave Kelly and I! 
He actually started crying when we took him to his mom! 
Photo credit: Sam

Fiji is located to the right of Australia and north of New Zealand. 

My stats as of January 12, 2012:
  • 3% of the world visited
  • Estimated mileage: 29,685
  • Been to:
    • 3 continents
    • 8 countries
    • 6 states


Up next: New Zealand

No comments:

Post a Comment