Saturday, November 23, 2013

I got bit early

I got bit by the travel bug at an early age.
"Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience." -Francis Bacon
Five year old passport

Before I get ahead of myself, let me rewind for a second. 


I originate from this place. It is called Nebraska.
 This is baby Jasmine.
This is unknown age Jasmine.

All of these pictures were taken before I got infected by the travel bug. 

In May 1997, I traveled to the countries in blue. My grandma and aunt lived in Paris.

France, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden

Due to the fact that I was five, I am relying on pictures and memories that aren't mine. Bear with me. 

According to my sources, we flew from OMA-MSP-AMS-CDG. For those of you who don't speak in airport code that means Omaha, Minneapolis, Amsterdam, Paris.
This is freakier than I had anticipated. Sorry. 
Counting down the days until the new millennium.
The circled district is where my Aunt Salwa (Sell-uh-wuh) lived.
 My cousin Heather and I at the Lourve. I'm really not sure why I was dancing.
I saw the Mona Lisa, but I don't remember it. All I remember is that I had to be quiet.
I also went to EuroDisney. My sole memory is going on a rollercoaster. I was the only one on the ride so the attendant let me hand signal how fast or slow I wanted to go. I told him to make it go slower. It scared me so much and I still haven't ridden a coaster since then. Fine by me.

My grandma Malika, me and my aunt Salwa. 

My family is from Morocco, so they speak French and Arabic. I don't. I remember very little from the first time I met them, but I do remember thinking it was strange not being able to talk to my grandma and aunt. 

The only two stamps in my passport. Unacceptable.

From Paris, we took the Eurorail to Copenhagen, Denmark to Stockholm, Sweden to Oslo, Norway.
 This one turned out better. 
 Bus stop in Copenhagen
 Little Mermaid Statue 
Hans Christian Anderson, the author of The Little Mermaid, lived in Copenhagen.
The best place ever in Copenhagen is Tivoli.
This is my dad and I on my favorite ride.
 Apparently, one of my catchphrases at this time in my life was "Nuh uh uh, I don't think so." 
This is how that looked in Stockholm.
Gamla Stan Island in Stockholm, Sweden.

From Oslo, we flew back to AMS-MSP-OMA. And this is what my world map looks like at age five.

My stats as of May 1997:
  • 3% of the world visited 
  • Estimated mileage: 11,490
  • been to:
    • 2 continents
    • 6 countries
    • 2 states  (lived in SD briefly)

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only a page." -Saint Augustine

Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment