Thursday, November 21, 2013

Beginnings and endings

For those of you who know me, you know at least two things:

1) I love to travel.

2) I hate writing.

And here I am, beginning a blog. I'm still wondering where this idea came from and how it's managed to continue being a serious thought. Bear with me as I learn the art of blogging.

I've decided that I really dislike Facebook and have wanted to delete my profile, but haven't done it. Mainly, this is because I love sharing my pictures and thoughts of where I've been, where I am and where I'm going.

As I follow the steps to committing to this blog, I'm excited about sharing my travels; the pictures, memories, lessons, and maybe even inspire travels of your own! On the other hand, I'm also terrified about taking on ANOTHER project! Case in point: I'm putting off writing a paper to write this post. But I'm justifying it because inspiration struck me and I needed to take advantage of it, right? ;)

I believe this quote illustrates my thoughts nicely right now.
 "Discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but seeing with new eyes." -Marcel Proust

The past few months have brought me unexpected changes and life-changing news, and I feel that I've learned more since August than I have the entire year. I am discovering many things and this blog will help me document everything.

One exciting thing that has happened was the opportunity to write a proposal for a grant that helps fund student travel. I wrote up this proposal on a Monday, only to turn it in 4 days later. I created an itinerary that would allow me to attend the Universities Fighting World Hunger Summit in Auburn, Alabama as well as study food insecurity issues in and around Casablanca, Morocco. A little background: I am half-Moroccan and half of my family lives in Morocco. I visited and met my family for the first time last December and have been itching to go back since the second I left.

A few weeks have passed since I turned the proposal in and guess what? The committee LOVED my proposal and I got fully funded (and then some).

I'M GOING BACK TO THE LAND OF MY PEOPLE!!!!
 Trekking in the Sahara Desert
 Atlantic Ocean Coast
My first family photo!

And so, in preparation and anticipation of my upcoming adventures, I'm going to take a stroll down memory lane.

"To travel is to live." -Hans Christian Anderson

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant first post! I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be fun! And you may actually discover that you don't really hate to write so much as you think...
    I have to admit that I'm just a little jealous of your jetsetting young life... but, I'm glad you'e getting to do it. I'm also glad you are sharing with us. I'm not so annoyed with Facebook today because I got to connect with my cousins in Canada who I haven't seen in 20 years and it was so refreshing! :)

    ReplyDelete