Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The great state of Chicago

June-July 2013

Last summer, I had the chance to live in Chicago for two months through the Chicago Center. The website summarizes the program much better than I can: "Chicago Center equips college students and other participants to learn from diverse urban communities through innovative programs, seminars and internships." Each class period, we visited a different neighborhood of Chicago.

I grew up in rural Nebraska, so going from a population of 800 to 2.7 million is a bit of a culture shock. Little did I know going into this experience that Chicago would change my life and become one of my favorite places in the world. It is so hard to put words to this experience, so I am going to rely a lot on pictures and Facebook posts from my time in Chicago. 


First view of the city!
"I set foot in this city, and just walking down the street, it was like roots, like the motherland. I knew I belonged here" -Oprah Winfrey
Made it to Chicagoland! Unpacking now. SO excited for all the adventures that await me and these next two months. Also very excited to eat Chicago style pizza tonight for dinner!
-Facebook post from June 5th
My new neighborhood!
Walking through my new neighborhood makes me feel like I'm in Hey Arnold.
I keep thinking I'll hear "Hey, football head!"
-Facebook post from June 5th
Funny thing is, a friend visited a few weeks later and said the exact same thing.

About to conquer the CTA. Bring it on.
-Facebook post from June 7th
Little did I know I would regret the last statement. Don't taunt the CTA. You WILL lose. For example, you can wait at a very visible bus stop, and it will drive on past. You will just miss the bus by a few second and wait an eternity for the next one to show up, and then three come. You will get delayed on the L. You will text the CTA bus tracker more than you text everyone else you talk to combined. You will spend half your life riding the CTA and the other half waiting for it. It will take longer for the bus to arrive than it will to actually walk/run to your destination. You actually contemplate walking/running the mile away. You actually walk/run the mile away (Of course this was much more feasible in the warmer weather). All of this is real. I wish I was making this up.
This is the University of Chicago library in the Divergent trailer.
Troy and I with the U of C mascot, Phoenix
Michael Jackson's house in Gary, Indiana
"Exhausted from a busy day starting with seeing Rev. Jesse Jackson speak at the Rainbow PUSH Coalition headquarters, to sitting in on a Bronzeville 'block meeting', to an extensive tour of the South Side. The South Side boasts the largest African American population in the nation. While in the South Side, I saw the homes of Jesse Jackson, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jackson (we hopped over to Indiana for about 30 minutes), Emmett Till and a few state senators. I also saw the grave of Olympic legend Jesse Owens. Tomorrow the bibliophile in me will enjoy the Printers Row Lit Fest and the Blues Festival after that. Whew." 
-Facebook post from June 8th
Clearly, I was meant to be in Chicago
The beautiful Chicago dog
Buckingham Fountain
I am amazed at how I keep falling in love with this beautiful city. I went on a 12 mile bike ride to Buckingham Fountain tonight and got to watch a very orange sun set over the city and then see all of the skyscrapers turn on their lights. I had a wonderful view of the lake and skyscrapers the entire time. I love this magical place.
-Facebook post from June 17th

While in Chicago, I spent many evenings either biking the beautiful lakefront of Lake Michigan or learning martial arts at Thousand Waves. They had a promotion going where you could take a free month of lessons. You bet I signed up! Learn martial arts
The gang from left to right: Olivia, Whitney, Rachael, Jasmine, Loic, Clint
Yep, this pretty much sums it up. "I adore Chicago. It is the pulse of America" -Sarah Bernhardt
Running to the bus stop as your bus pulls up. It's the small victories.
-Facebook post from July 3rd
Got the ultimate compliment today. Native Chicagoans were impressed with my knowledge of Chicago.
You know that's right.
-Facebook post from July 6th
Cloud Gate, better known as The Bean
 My favorite place in Chicago, Lake Michigan. I lived half a mile from this wonderland.
 Chicago River at sunset
"You feel like an ant contemplating Chicago" -Robert Fulghum

 North Avenue Beach
The Taste of Chicago brought Fun. to Chicago for a free concert! 
 Captain America mural! 
 Among the things to see while in Chicago, a Cubs game is a must.
 Sitting right over the dugout!
"Every player should be accorded the privilege of at least one season with the Chicago Cubs. That's baseball as it should be played - in God's own sunshine. And that's really living." - Alvin Dark
 View from the top of the Hancock Building
Four fire trucks just drove by within 2 minutes. I think Chicago is burning down again.
-Facebook post from July 8th
(Side note: this is from the Chicago Fire set, our house was not really on fire)
 The house I lived in over the summer (which also happened to be a few blocks from Obama's house.. we're Hyde Park homies) was selected to be a filming location for the show Chicago Fire. We had not heard of the show before they came to look at the house, but I gladly watched the season premiere to see my building.
  Visit a movie/tv set- Chicago Fire
I worked at a hospital and on my last day I got a new track bag, 
flowers and a card signed from everyone in the office!
 Papa Scott, Lane and I after the 25th Annual LATE Ride
The LATE (Long After Twilight Ends) Ride is a 25 mile ride through Chicago starting at 1 am.
I covered 37 miles of Chicago in a little under 4 hours. Oh the things I saw.. a fake Stanley Cup, a rickshaw, many tandem bicycles, 2 ducks, a mouse, a coyote and the beauty of Chicago. Love love love!
-Facebook post from June 30th
Hoping to make it back for the ride this year!

While in Chicago, I spent many evenings either biking the beautiful lakefront of Lake Michigan or learning martial arts at Thousand Waves. They had a promotion going where you could take a free month of lessons. You bet I signed up! Learn martial arts

Bottom line: go to Chicago if you get the chance!
Disclaimer: You will fall in love with the city and never want to leave. Until winter comes and
Chi-beria/ Chi-laska is too cold to handle. You've been warned. =]

My stats as of August 2013:


  • 4% of the world visited
  • Estimated mileage: 62000
  • been to:
    • 5 continents
    • 11 countries
    • 11 states

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Jasmine! It's so nice to hear alums talk about the experience in such a positive way this long after Wrap Up. :-) Chicago really is the best city to be in in the Summer, and I have a soft spot for Summer in Chicago, having done the program then myself. Hearing someone talk about their first experiences here sure takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was such a great summer and I wish I could come back this summer!

      Delete